So, yeah, it’s not Tuesday. Could possibly be days later (as I am writing this I am not sure when I will get it published). [updated to add that I can’t seem to find the time to get the photo loaded…put house on market again…what was that definition about insanity…doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result…sounds about right]
I made a half batch of these on Easter with orange zest instead of lemon. I don’t love shortbread. I don’t crave shortbread. I just sort of tolerate it. But, somehow, in a Cadbury Egg/pastel M&M induced sugar fog I managed to eat several. I immediately packed the rest up and sent them home with my mom.
I would call that a success, wouldn’t you?
The recipe is at Une Gamine dans la Cuisine.
To detail all of the reasons as to why I am posting last week’s strawberry dessert over this week’s apple tourte would send you into a full on boredom coma in less time than it takes to type Rhubarb. The short (and ample on its own) reason is that I ended up with 4+ lbs of strawberries on Sunday. What I did not end up with is any rhubarb. Actually, I didn’t go looking for it. For the record, I didn’t go looking for the strawberries either. I did happen to have two lonely apples in the fruit bowl. Since I and everyone else within shouting distance has had their fill of apples as a snack until next fall, I quickly decided they would make a great substitute for rhubarb. I don’t like crystallized ginger so I didn’t go looking for it all.
In short, great dessert and I was ready for some dessert. If I get my hands on some rhubarb before I exhaust the 3lbs of remaining strawberries, I might just make it again.
I want to go back to the 90s before I “realized” bagels were the devil. I just want my pumpernickel guilt free (please).
The thought process of an overthinker:
I am going to NYC this weekend. I will eat a lot of yummy restaurant food in NYC. I will eat some (tasty) crap in NYC as well. This tart sounds good but I don’t really want to eat a lot of or much of it, frankly, or maybe none of it. If this is a coffee tart, I will be the only one who will eat it. I will regret every bite of it as I am chowing on a bagel…It is ice cream. Ice cream is not something I can bring to work. I love coffee ice cream. How can I skip coffee ice cream? I am skipping coffee ice cream. Period. What will the boy eat? Peanuts. Yup. Peanuts and chocolate and vanilla ice cream with caramel. Should I still make the coffee tart? No. No coffee. Peanut/chocolate/vanilla/caramel it is. Hmmm…that sounds good. Edit: HALF a peanut/chocolate/vanilla/caramel tart it is.
I am exhausted.
but, of course, I tried a piece. It was HOT on Sunday (91 degrees!). good. very good. that crust is a keeper. Full post at domestic deep thought.
I know I have missed the last two weeks. Ugh. Too much going on around these parts.
- going to PowerPlay.
- coming up with a new language where he just drops the first letter of every word. It was as much fun listening to this all day as it sounds…
- Spanish class
- PE and music class. Will not really rockin’ the creative ideas mid-week.
- going to power play
- Kirby’s Epic Yarn: if you haven’t seen this, I don’t know how to explain it. It is a video game. The main character is made of yarn and he turns into other objects on his adventures. There is a character named Prince Fluff. I fear the use of controlled substances contributed to this…
- cracking his knuckles. (It was a slow day) We asked the Dr about this. She said she wished she had some great reason to tell him to stop but there really isn’t.
- the chicks that hatched in his classroom. I lu-u-uv kindergartners. They named the chicks: mario, sophie, werewolf and luke skywalker. Colin was rooting for anakin skywalker but, apparently, couldn’t drum up enough support for that one.
Every morning I drive by the Apple store on the way to work. Every morning there is a line outside. This is between 8:15-8:30. If you could see this store in a vacuum you would have ABSOLUTELY no clue there is a recession. Amazing.
I am -slowly- making my way through Anna Karenina. I don’t even want to say how long it is taking me. The weird thing is…I think I like it but I just can’t seem to finish it. In fact, I just grabbed a couple of new books from the library. I think I am losing my attention span. I blame MTV.